Phil McKinney is President and CEO of CableLabs. He heads the research and development organization responsible for charting the cable industry’s technology and innovation roadmap. Prior to joining CableLabs, he was the vice president and chief technology officer of the $40 billion (FY12) Personal Systems Group at HP. He was responsible for long-range strategic planning, research and development (R&D) and product roadmaps for the company’s PC product lines, including mobile devices, notebooks, desktops and workstations. In addition, McKinney was founder and leader of HP’s Innovation Program Office (IPO). The IPO was chartered to identify, incubate and launch adjacent and fundamentally new technologies, products and services that would become the future growth engines for HP.
Recently (February 2012), Phil released his first book on innovation and personal creativity titled Beyond The Obvious, published by Hyperion. The book is available in hardcover, digital and audio formats. The book will soon be available in Russian, Chinese, Portuguese (Brazil), Korean and Japanese.
His influence on innovation and creativity includes:
• Sharing his expertise in innovation and creativity, free of charge (in an approach he refers to as “paying it forward”) through his award winning podcast Killer Innovations™ (available on iTunes). It has been named by CIO Insight as a “must listen” podcast.
• Vanity Fair named him the “The Innovation Guru”
• MSNBC and FOX Business both call him “The Gadget Guy”
• His uncanny ability to predict what’s coming next caused him to be dubbed as the “chief seer” by The San Jose Mercury News.
• He was named as one of the “25 Most Influential People in Mobile Tech” by LAPTOP Magazine.
• He is a contributing columnist for Forbes where he writes the column “The Objective” for Forbes.com